13.1.12

the edge

Last night I went with a very lovely person to the opening of the Campbelltown art centre's 'Edge of Elsewhere' exhibition. Going out on the journey west after work was a first for me, all that traffic and the longest tunnel in Australia?! (or maybe the driver driver was pulling my leg...) It was interesting to see a side of Sydney relatively so close to home that I am so removed from culturally and physically! Suitably, the exhibition focused on community projects by artists working on the periphery or 'edge'. The exhibition as a whole is part of a three year project engaging with the diverse cultural mix that is Western Sydney.

I didn't take any photos last night, and I can't find any on the internet at the moment, but if you are a sydney-sider I definitely recommend going along to check it out. taking a bit of a road trip. Enjoy the beautiful coin opperated dancers, studio ghibli-esq animation shots telling the story of an aboriginal boy and robotic cow! All glimpses and takes at what it might mean for us to be Australians in this moment.

Artists :Brook Andrew, Arahmaiani, Richard Bell, Dacchi Dang, Newell Harry, FX Harsono, Shigeyuki Kihara, Jun Nguyen-Hatsushiba, Lisa Reihana, Khaled Sabsabi, Phaptawan Suwannakudt, Michel Tuffery and YOUNG-HAE CHANG HEAVY INDUSTRIES

No comments: